The Syrian 'Brides'.

Australian Federal, State and Local Politics
Forum rules
Don't poop in these threads. This isn't Europe, okay? There are rules here!
Black Orchid

The Syrian 'Brides'.

Post by Black Orchid » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:16 pm

The Australian government has no immediate plan to rescue its citizens – including 20 women and more than 40 children – stranded in dangerous and squalid camps in northern Syria, arguing it will not risk more Australian lives trying to get them out.

But as Turkish troops mass on the border ahead of an expected invasion, a Sydney grandfather whose daughter and grandchildren are trapped in Al-Hawl camp argues Syria is “safer today than it will be tomorrow”. Kamalle Dabboussy said he had safely visited the camps recently, and urged Australia to repatriate its citizens while US troops are still providing a measure of security in the region.

The US government has consistently urged foreign governments to “take responsibility” for their nationals held in Kurdish-controlled internally displaced persons camps and prisons in Syria. The US president, Donald Trump, has repeatedly castigated allies for refusing to repatriate their citizens, even threatening to dump Isis prisoners at the borders of Europe.

The Australian defence minister, Linda Reynolds, said on Tuesday the Australian government was in “close contact” with its allies, including the US, after the shock announcement from Trump that America would be withdrawing its troops from the region as well as support for Kurdish allies, effectively green-lighting a Turkish invasion of northern Syria.

“It is too early yet to speculate on the consequences this might have for Australian policy in the region, as it is a very rapidly evolving new situation,” Reynolds said. “We will continue to monitor and act accordingly when we have more information to hand.”

She said the Australian government was “very concerned” about the plight of Australians held in the region.

“But I would emphasise that consular support in the area is limited if not non-existent. Any consideration of action by the Australian government will have to take into consideration the lives of anyone else we might send into the region. We will not jeopardise the lives of any other Australians.

“It is a very difficult situation. It is a very dangerous area, we will not be endangering the lives of other Australians. It’s that simple.”

However, Dabboussy, whose daughter Mariam and three grandchildren are being held in Al Hawl camp in northern Syria, said a repatriation mission of Australian women and children was possible, particularly now while US troops remained.

“I think they can do it, to say that it is dangerous, you have to remember I made it in there safely, other Australians have been there, and I believe the Americans have offered support for countries repatriating their nationals,” he told the Guardian.

“I do believe it can be done, it’s the will to do it that is lacking.”
More at ... https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... hern-syria

Well I agree with Dabboussy only insofar as the will of the people is lacking. I know mine certainly is. Make your bed etc. If he couldn't stop his daughter from flying there to fight against us in the first place then he has no right to insist that other Aussies put their lives on the line to go and 'save' her.

He thinks it is so easy let him go himself.

Texan

Re: The Syrian 'Brides'.

Post by Texan » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:11 am

I’m all for protecting innocent citizens who are held against their will in foreign countries, but if they went to a foreign country to support my enemies they are on their own.

Redneck

Post by Redneck » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:17 am

Stuff them !

Let them rot over there. :S

The Reboot

Post by The Reboot » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:07 pm

I'd rather see the government helping/addressing drought stricken farmers or the homeless, instead of worrying about retards who piss off to foreign shithole countries.

macman

Post by macman » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:52 am

Can understand all of your points of view but feel for the kids. Do they really deserve this because of their parents stupidity?

sprintcyclist

Post by sprintcyclist » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:41 am

The Reboot wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:07 pm
I'd rather see the government helping/addressing drought stricken farmers or the homeless, instead of worrying about retards who piss off to foreign shithole countries.
Yes. They went there of their own free will deliberately going against public warnings
Right Wing is the Natural Progression.

sprintcyclist

Post by sprintcyclist » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:42 am

macman wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:52 am
Can understand all of your points of view but feel for the kids. Do they really deserve this because of their parents stupidity?
The kids are from 'bad stock'. From people who opposed our society.
Right Wing is the Natural Progression.

The Reboot

Post by The Reboot » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:08 pm

macman wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:52 am
Guilt trips don't work on me. That tactic is always adopted by charities (businesses in disguise) and scammers. If one were to feel guilt and sorrow for every single child that struck misfortune due to the actions of their halfwit parents one could get driven mad. You can't save everyone.
There's enough problems with our own youth to worry about.

The Reboot

Post by The Reboot » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:18 pm

sprintcyclist wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:41 am
The Reboot wrote:
Yes. They went there of their own free will deliberately going against public warnings
Exactly. Only fools jump in the fire.

Nicole

Post by Nicole » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:20 pm

The Reboot wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:18 pm
sprintcyclist wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:41 am
The Reboot wrote:
Exactly. Only fools jump in the fire.
I think you both underestimate the power traditional Islam can hold over women.

That aside, I still wouldn’t let them back.